FREE ONLINE CLASSES
In keeping with its mission to provide incomparable theatre training delivered from artist to artist, NTS will provide 12 online training programs covering all the theatre disciplines. Professional actors, directors, designers, composers and theatre makers, artists who are part of the teaching team at NTS, will offer free online classes available to all artists, to support the deepening of their craft during this time of isolation. This is another way to continue sharing knowledge and having a dialogue among artists across Canada. “We have a responsibility to constantly interrogate ourselves on how best to meet the needs of our community,” says Alisa Palmer, Artistic Director of the English section. “In the current context, it’s more important than ever to foster a sense of community and to provide creative work opportunities for artists.”
Here are the teaching artists who will be leading conferences, conversations and classes online in the coming weeks:
- May 19-26, June 2: Introduction to Poetry for Actors (3 classes) with Dany Boudreault;
- May 20: Conversation with François Vincent;
- May 21, June 4 and 18: Writing for Young Audiences with Dean Patrick Fleming;
- May 25: Stand Back! Physical Distance and Fashion: from Panniers to Punks to Pool Noodles - A brief history of "physical distancing" inspired clothing with Tamara Marie Kucheran;
- May 27: Peripheries: The Hidden Considerations of Sound in Theatre with Debashis Sinha;
- June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 and July 6: Brewing ideas on scenic space : the director’s prep up to meeting the set designer with Arianna Bardesono;
- June 2: Réflexion, Réflexion with Caroline Ferland et Julie Marie Bourgeois;
- June 3: Brenda Bazinet and Erin Brubacher in Conversation;
- June 10: La mise en livre with Daniel Canty;
- June 8, 11, 15, 18, 22 and 25: Becoming a Better Actor Through Chekhov - Discovering the Inner Life of Your Character with Brenda Bazinet;
- June 11: Podcasts with Xavier Huard.
- June 17: Le théâtre des éloignements with Daniel Canty;
ABOUT ART APART
Art Apart is an initiative by the National Theatre School of Canada (NTS) that provides support to emerging theatre artists, professional artists, and the community during the coronavirus crisis. It’s a way to help minimize the impact of this crisis in the arts community, to provide much-needed assistance to artists by rapidly injecting funds into the arts sector, and to continue sharing knowledge and having a dialogue among artists across Canada.
100 emerging artists received $750 grants to present a piece of art online. This sum comes from an existing fund dedicated to community initiatives. The 100 Art Apart artists are students currently enrolled in and artists graduated within the past five years from a theatre training program anywhere in Canada. They have been selected from 575 applications and reflect the diversity of languages, cultural backgrounds, provinces, regions and fields of theatre studies in Canada.
The Artistic Directors of NTS have also asked artists who have taught in the professional training programs of the School in the last few years to share 10 free online theatre classes and conferences.
NTS is also extremely proud to be able to share the work of its graduating students, who have quickly adapted to the situation their performances which should have been presented in person, to an online format. All are invited to attend these plays and exhibition for free.